What we are using

12 January 2009

Monday Math - Math Fact Review and A Math Beginner

It is Monday and time for Math. This week we are focusing on increasing multiplication skills. I want her to be more solid on her tables before we move on to division or further into multi-digit multiplication. I also want to sharpen her addition/subtraction skills. I have found a couple of tools that I am loving right now for both. And my little 4yo is just starting to join us in math.

I just have to say that I love Magic Squares! They are perfect for Addition / Subtraction practice. CC is doing 4 x 4 grids with the numbers adding to 2 or 3 digits which means she is getting some great addition and subtraction practice in the form of a puzzle, and I haven't been getting any resistance at all. She does one magic square each day, plus whatever else we are working on. I have been trying all year to find some way for her to review the addition and subtraction without a struggle and this might be it.

For "Fun" today we did a multiplication problem search. It looks like a word search, but with numbers. Inside are multiplication facts like one row will have a 3 3 9 8 8 64 in it and you are supposed to find the facts inside. She thought it was cool. I thought it was a great way to sneak in more "fact review."

And for LB, my math beginner, we are working on the number 3. I have SIngapore EB books and RS A, but we are working on the quality of numbers in a more hands-on way first and combining ideas from both. So for our 3, she chose 3 toys to explore with - they were huskies. We put four rings on the floor and explored all of the ways we could group the three huskies. They could be 3, 2 and 1, or 1 and 1 and 1. Tomorrow, we will paint the number three with watercolors. Other activities for the week will be to do the three page in Singapore, practicing patterns of three claps, and making patterns with threes.

No comments: