What we are using

08 November 2009

Week 10 - The Prologue


There are going to be changes around here. I am going to plan for success. First, what is a successful week? Is it a week in which I have no days that end with me hiding in a corner avoiding my kids and swearing off education? or should I aim higher?

BB is counting down his weeks in this semester. He has a paper in Comparative Politics, a paper and questions about Socrates and the allegory of the cave, something about Freud and the analysis of something, and lots of Japanese. He's also planning an early Thanksgiving because he will have class that day and will be preparing for finals that weekend. My baby will be making his first Thanksgiving alone; it is his favorite holiday. He loves the cooking, the smells from the kitchen warm and inviting, and he is trying to figure out how to do that in a tiny apartment oven and a two-burner stove. I'm going to help by sending some spices and cornbread.


I passed by a '67 Shelby GT500 this morning on my way to work. I love the lusty sound of that engine. It was a beautiful car.

There is probably nothing sweeter than the sound of LB singing to herself while she cleans her toy kitchen and makes a wonderful chef's special for us.

Apparently, I am easily distracted and a bit sleep deprived. I plan to take a day off school on Monday and rest. We're painting my mom's room this week. I need to finalize everyone's travel plans for Thanksgiving and figure out what we are doing with the dogs and chickens while we're gone. I need to make some headway on the clutter, and I decided to put a few coats of wax on the woodwork around the windows instead of adding a toxic finish to them. I'm also looking for a couple of dozen houseplants to clean the air. I want to build at least one cold frame and plant some winter lettuce.

For school: more of those PILGRIMS, Mr. Revere and I, WWE, math, Latin, and something. I think we are in a groove with our work right now so it is on autopilot until after Thanksgiving at which time we will switch to Roman history for a month - hopefully.


I read Starship Troopers this weekend for the first time. It was surprisingly good and much better than the movie. There is one scene in which the main character's mother writes him a letter encouraging him to drop out of the Infantry and come home because "a boy is never too big for his mother's lap." Take a look at that picture of my boy. He's 6'5". I have been pondering that passage for two days. I think the point is that a boy isn't ever too big for his mother's lap, but a man is.

No comments: